But most days, if you’re aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-up lady who just screamed at her kid in the checkout line. Maybe she’s not usually like this. Maybe she’s been up three straight nights holding the hand of a husband who is dying of bone cancer. Or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the motor vehicle department, who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a horrific, infuriating, red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness. Of course, none of this is likely, but it’s also not impossible. It just depends what you want to consider. If you’re automatically sure that you know what reality is, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won’t consider possibilities that aren’t annoying and miserable. But if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.
The contest to receive a copy of Unbreakable Bond is closed and the winners have been emailed.
Hope you enjoy the book.
“So my amazing daughter, Emma, turned 5 last month, and I had been searching everywhere for new-creative inspiration for her 5yr pictures. I noticed quite a pattern of so many young girls dressing up as beautiful Disney Princesses, no matter where I looked 95% of the “ideas” were the “How to’s” of how to dress your little girl like a Disney Princess…We chose 5 women (five amazing and strong women), as it was her 5th birthday but there are thousands of unbelievable women (and girls) who have beat the odds and fought (and still fight) for their equal rights all over the world”
- Jaime Moore, Not Just a Girl
This is awesome!
This is amazingly inspiring. What a great little girl and awesome parents.
I’m supposed to be writing, creating my own worlds, and all I feel like doing is visiting someone else’s. I’m currently reading The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore, by Joan Lowery Nixon. It’s old and not the same style of writing as books today, but, surprisingly, it’s gripped my attention. Wish the guilt would jump off a cliff though. ;)
Amazon Book Ratings
Yesterday I read a post about reviewing books on Amazon and how a 3 star rating is considered negative, according to Amazon.
I no longer review books, and I don’t rate on Amazon, but I do rate books on Goodreads. With Amazon taking over Goodreads, how will this affect all the reviews on GR? I don’t know. But to learn that a 3 star rating is negative actually irritates me.
It doesn’t correspond with how I think about books. For me:
- 5: Books I adore so much I’ll talk about them forever and own a copy (while I love books, I don’t keep all I own. I’ll donate ones I don’t care for or even just like but won’t read again to the library), and I’ll reread them.
- 4: Books I like a whole lot and even love but don’t hold to as high esteem as 5ers, and I may or may not read them again. Probably won’t though.
- 3: Books I like. They were enjoyable for some reason or another, but I don’t love them, and I won’t reread them, and chances are what I didn’t enjoy is a piece of the plot or something about the characters. They’re still okay, and, to me, okay isn’t a bad thing. It’s a solid rating.
- 2: Books that are seriously lacking. Chances are, if it’s not well written, it falls here. This rating isn’t about plot or characters because that’s subjective. This is more for writing not up to par.
- 1: Books that fall under here are usually ones I don’t finish, so they usually don’t get rated. I think I rated one book as a 1 on GR, and that was before my non-review stance. I left it up because of how incredibly bored I was.
Thing is, in the past, I pushed through on a book. Back before I was a writer, I could finish any book. Now, not so much, and I’ve put down many books I was excited to start. They’ll never get a rating.
But to say 3 is negative, and there’s still a 1 and 2 pisses me off. So now my rating system has to be rethought and set into three sections only? 3=negative, 4=what? medium, and 5=outstanding? That doesn’t leave me enough wiggle room, and that’s not fair.
Hi everyone!!! This is an art supplies giveaway for me reaching an amount of followers I said I’d do a giveaway at!
Here are the things you’ll be getting, as you can see from the photo!
- 6” by 10” Sketchbook for both wet and dry media
- A bottle of ink, you pick the color, I’ll order it from a specific site
- A fountain pen that comes with the ink from the same site
- 11 colors of Cotman Winsor & Newton watercolors
- 3 brushes
- A drawing of a subject of your choice to go on the first page! You might want to check my art out if you’re unfamiliar with me to see what types of things I usually do
And that’s that. I don’t use any of those watercolor tubes anymore, as I’ve replaced them each with higher quality tubes, so I thought: why not give them away? And I like the fountain pen I’ve been using so much that I think I’d like someone else to try it, too. I’ve also replaced the three brushes I’ve included here, so I don’t need those, either. And a drawing for good measure.
Here are the rules! Please follow these:
- No giveaway blogs. I want more people to actually see this and have a chance at getting something; a lot of artists don’t have a lot of money…
- Reblogs enter you, and a Like helps. You can’t just like - but you can do both to double your chances of just reblogging (if it falls on someone who liked it, I’ll check to see if they reblogged it)
- I’ll be checking the blog that wins to see if you’re an active blog.
- You gotta use these after they arrive! I obviously can’t enforce this, but I want to see people not being timid! Make art! That’s what these are for. I know a thing that stops a lot of people is being scared they’ll mess up and waste expensive supplies… but if this is a gift, that shouldn’t matter!
- This ends on May 24th. If I send an ask and you don’t respond within 2 days, I’ll ask the next person, and so on.
- I will ship anywhere. I’ll pay the shipping.
I think that’s everything. Have fun!!! Good luck!
Wowwee!!! Winsor and Newton for free??? That’s the good stuff! I am all for free items. *u*